The replaced Note 7 which Samsung deemed to be safe reportedly caught fire on a Southwest Airlines flight.
As mentioned before, the phone was a replaced safe model as claimed by the owner of the phone, Brian Green. Green confirmed that he picked up the new replaced phone from an AT&T store on September 21, 2016. Moreover, a photograph of the box has also been revealed which shows a black square symbol and Green also claimed that it had green battery icon indicating the phone was a replaced unit.
Describing the event, Brian Green explained that he powered down the phone as requested by the flight crew members and put it in his pocket after which the phone began emitting smoke and Green dropped the device on the floor. Soon a thick grey-green smoke filled that entire section of the plane.
Samsung in its defense released a statement today saying, "Until we are able to retrieve the device, we cannot confirm that this incident involves the new Note 7. We are working with the authorities and Southwest now to recover the device and confirm the cause. Once we have examined the device we will have more information to share."
According to The Verge, Brian's Note 7 is with Louisville Fire Department for further investigation. Also, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission is planning to open an investigation on the incident as well. The fun part though is that Brian has already replaced his Note 7 with the new iPhone 7. Oops Samsung!
You might like this